Texas dwelling fire policies, also known as a 'tenant occupied policy' are for those looking to insure their rental properties, seasonal and secondary homes. This policy is specifically for landlords, who don't have any interest in insuring the contents of a particular dwelling; however, most companies will offer a small amount of coverage for contents if needed.

Dwelling fire insurance differs from homeowner's insurance in that the policy holder must be the owner and a permanent resident to qualify for homeowner's insurance. Those in need of a dwelling fire policy include landlords, and investment property owners.